Monday, June 22, 2009

Monday, Monday...


the studio...where I'd rather be


The hardest day of the week. Hands down. It's the day when I head back to work and struggle to switch my focus from what I've been working on in the studio to my 9-5 job as a social worker.

It's not that I dislike my job. I work for a great agency alongside great people. While I don't get paid well (it could almost be called volunteering), I do get an incredible amount of time off (4 weeks vacation, 3 weeks personal, 2 weeks at Christmas, 1 week for spring break)...so you can see this job, since I need to have a job, fits well. I get plenty of time off to work on my art. Plus, I value what I do...helping others.

That said, it's hard sometimes focusing on work when my head is really still at the studio. Mondays are definitely the hardest. I keep thinking of what I was working on during the weekend and would rather still be working on.


I always think that I will spend weekday evenings at the studio, but it doesn't happen as often as I would like. After a day spent dealing with other people's issues, I just sometimes want to veg in front of the t.v.

So like a great number of other artists, I keep juggling outside work with studio time.

I guess it's a good problem to have.

3 comments:

Artsnark said...

I hear you. I'm lucky enough to do my job at home but the overlapping can really eat into the "me" time.

After juggling the workday plus family, a pillow is sadly more tempting than a paintbrush somedays.

just think of it as recharging your batteries ;D

Unknown said...

You have been awarded the One Lovely Blog Award! Congrats! Come visit my blog to accept your award!
Happy day!
Beth

Art by Darla Kay said...

I can totally relate to how you feel. I've been battling the 'sunday night flu' for a few months now....that icky feeling that I have to focus on work again for 5 days just kills me sometimes. Weekends and the free time to do as we please just goes too fast!
Darla