Sunday, February 6, 2011

Back to Work














Besides all the moving, there have been other big changes looming in my life. I am dipping my toes back in the working world. I have just started a temporary, part-time position at the Science Museum of Minnesota as a Visitor Assistant for their upcoming King Tut exhibition.

New beginnings always come with some anxiety and adjustments.  As I said, it's a temporary, part-time, and I may add, low-pay position...so, it doesn't completely resolve my employment issues. And I haven't walked into such a new, unknown work situation in over 14 years. But...I think it will work out just fine. It's close enough to home that I can sometimes walk (or be dropped off by hubby or ride the bus five minutes). I will be working evenings, including the weekend...which will still give me plenty of time to paint! And I get to work in a museum (love that!), be surrounded by cool, interesting stuff and help solve simple problems (vs. helping people resolve huge life dramas in my social worker job). I think it will be much less stressful.

I worked my first training shift last night. It helped resolve some of my anxiety. I will be spending a lot of time on my feet, so I need to buy some new comfy shoes (that fit within the uniform guidelines). I'd post a picture of me in my uniform, but I'll save that for a day when you all need a good laugh!

1 comment:

GlorV1 said...

Oh wow! What a great job, even if it's temporary. King Tut exhibition, how exciting. I've always felt that I somehow lived in those days. I become very intense when I view programs on PBS about those days and the findings of mummys. Congrats on your part time job.