Sunday, July 27, 2008

Mission accomplished

My mission this weekend was to figure out "how" I was going to frame "Force of Nature". Well that and make it to Dick Blick to pick up some paint. Part of the requirements of the State Fair competition is that the artwork (such as a painting) be framed. Reasonable request. But framing my work is a new venture for me. I haven't done this sort of stuff since my high school art classes--but I will be doing it now.

I decided I wanted to make a frame. Cheaper. And it gave me more options. Part of Friday Date Night was a trip to Menards to pick up wood. After much consideration I picked some stuff out, which I decided was the wrong stuff once I got to the studio. I did, however, come up with a new and better plan--so on Saturday we headed back to Menards, returned the other wood and bought some new. Do you know they have a pianist playing at the Midway Menards on Saturday night? I guess we're not the only ones who head to Menards on Date Night.

Today I did get to the studio to begin my framing experience. I will need to work on my technique, but this will get the job done. I'm halfway done building my frame and I'm feeling pretty good about it. It's amazing how much more "finished" and "polished" paintings look when they are framed. Between now and the fall art crawl, my goal is to frame a number of the paintings I've completed this past year...and then keep up with the framing as I finish paintings. They will look better. (And maybe it will help to sell a few pieces).

Mission accomplished. I will have this piece framed in time to drop it off at the State Fair building this coming weekend.

I also made it to Dick Blick to pick up some paint. And I managed to work on a few paintings that were "in progress", as well as start some other projects. It feels so good to be getting work done and getting regular time in at the studio.

No comments: