Saturday, August 16, 2008

Back from the show

First of all, the overall quality of the show is outstanding. I walked through the show and thought--"This didn't make it in the State Fair?" There were 225 pieces in the Overflow show--just a fraction of the pieces that were submitted to the fair competition and not accepted. Seeing all the work tonight helped me realize just how tough the competition for the State Fair show is.

That being said, there were a few things that disappointed me. I expected that beside each artwork, there would be something that told you the artist's name and the title of the work. Instead, each piece is identified by a number. You then consult a piece of paper to learn who the artist is...

And I have to admit I was not all that happy with where my painting was hanging. The location (near the back of the lower gallery) wasn't the greatest, but I wasn't expecting the premier spot. The small room that it was in was small and very crowded. The biggest thing was that it was not hung at eye level. It was hung much lower with a photograph hung above that was not related in subject matter at all. Oh well, what are you going to do?

But I can say that my painting was hung by the painting with the highest price tag on it--$10,ooo. (Believe me, not happening).

There were quite a few people at the opening reception. So many that I felt too shy to have my picture taken beside my painting. I guess I'll have to sneak back another time.

No comments: