Sunday, February 8, 2009

The world of Artful Blogging


Today was a day for running around. It was a nice sunny day and relatively warm (relative in Minnesota during February means "somewhere in the 30's).


I started by running my daughter out to a work meeting at the Mall of America (yup, that's the mall I run to). While Ana was at her meeting, I walked around the mall. One of my stops was at a bookstore. I headed straight to the magazine section...craft/art magazines in particular. My favorite magazines were buried behind rows of other publications, but then I saw it...the new edition of Artful Blogging.


Without hesitation, I grabbed a copy and made my way to the checkout. I'll have to admit that about a year ago when I saw my first Artful Blogging I did hesitate. My initial thought was that $15 is alot for a magazine...I mean I could buy art supplies with that $15. But every time I went to the bookstore I would pick up Artful Blogging. Finally I thought I had drooled enough and bought a copy to take home.


Since then I have bought every copy. And I love it. I love the colorful photos and the glimpses into other artist's blogs. I pour over every copy and check out all the blogs featured in the magazine. Secretly, I covet the opportunity to be featured in the magazine (oops, not a secret any longer).


Artful Blogging helped pulled me into the world of blogging. I started blogging so that I had a place to write and share my experiences. I saw it as an online journal. I really had no audience in mind. Actually I wasn't really sure I would ever have an audience.

But blogging has opened doors to a whole new community. Blogging has made my world both larger and smaller. Through blogging I have "met" artists from all over the world. I have learned about new art techniques and encouraged to share the results of those new "experiments". I have come to realize that whether we are full-time or part-time artists we share common goals and passions, not to mention fears and vulnerabilities.


Blogging has made me a better artist. It has connected me to the world of artists...some in my backyard and others half way cross the world. It has challenged me as an artist to try new things and share my work. And my creative passion is fed each time I read the blog of a fellow artist.


So ya, I could have spent that $15 on art supplies...but I think that $15 spent on a magazine was money well spent.

1 comment:

Artsnark said...

Ooh I haven't seen the new 1 yet!

I picked up the last issue, randomly opened it & found a Francesca Burras print that I own. That was it- now I'm hooked.

Wouldn't it be so cool to open an issue & find yourself in there someday...