Thursday, October 22, 2009

Gratitude




Sometimes when the dramas of life start getting you down (or simply start eating away your time), it's easy to lose sight of the many things that we have to be thankful for in our lives. The people who make our life richer. The simple things that take our breath away if we just take the time to notice them.

I've had my share of drama this past month, but there's also been some pretty good stuff. Top of the list this month has to be the Women's Press issue. I've had folks that know me, but did not know "my story" or that I was an artist stop me or send me an email to let me know how much they appreciated the article. It's been so very nice.

The article has made me very reflective about that difficult time in my life over 20 years ago--in a good way. Life calmed down for a moment this past weekend and as I worked in my studio I thought about all those people who had supported me through those dark days, who held me up, protected me, advocated for me and my children. There was the powerful circle of women--all with similar histories-that met every single week. We told our stories, listened to one another and held each other's hand as we cried, got angry and eventually moved on. There was my best friend (still today) whose life was on a similar course (yet miles away) that would take my phone calls any time, day or night. There were the "professionals" (my therapist, the director of the shelter, and my lawyer) who did their jobs above and beyond the call of duty. And so many more.

Although it's been quite a few years since I've talked to most of these folks (save my faraway friend), I felt it was time to try to reach out to some of them and share the article with them. I also wanted to let them know that I have not forgotten how much they helped me. I wanted to thank them. 



I'm so glad that I did. It has made my life feel so much richer.

Again.


Thank you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read your fantastic post here. It seems like we share the attitude that “Gratitude is good for you.” Grateful Nation is an online community that gives grateful people the opportunity and resources to connect, give back, and be thankful. Jump into the unending cycle of gratitude ~ http://www.gratefulnation.org



Thank you, Vanessa

Gloria said...

It's my first visit to your blog and I must say, I have enjoyed your post today. It is good to be reminded of the people who have been there along the way and to realise that even when life gets tough, it's not all bad. I've had a pretty tough week, a childhood friend died at a young age and I miss her. To be fair, I've had a very rough time for the past month or so but I have lots of good to be grateful for, my fabulous husband for a start.

I used to live in London but now live in the mountains of Andalucia, needed to escape the rat-race and so blogosphere and all my on-line buddies are very important to me right now and your post has served to underline that. Thank you for sharing yourself in this way. I will going over the the Women's Press after visiting with you.

You have a new follower:)

Have a great weekend!!