Sunday, December 13, 2009

Painting Pink houses



Around Thanksgiving I started working on some "winter" paintings.  Winter is not my favorite season--in fact, it is probably my least favorite time of year. I was born and raised in Minnesota, where winter begins in November (or earlier) and extends into March (or later!). I can deal with these early months of winter. This year we had a late start (by our standards). Plus the holidays are a nice diversion. But once January rolls around, it seems cold, gray and dreary for days on end.




So while I may be painting winter-inspired paintings, they are not going to be gray or make you feel cold and dreary! 

 


After taking a break from the studio last weekend,  I returned to working on these canvases this week. I changed the color of the sky on the whole series. And then I decided to add more bright color. Who says houses and trees can't be pink?

 


 

Lots of work still to do on these paintings. I was feeling overly optimistic yesterday, thinking I might finish one or two. I always wish I was a faster painter. This weekend I was working on four different canvases. In the long run, it saves time and even paint...but sometimes I wish I could get things down on canvas as quickly as I can envision them in my mind.

But painting, like most things in life, is a process.

 

No comments: