Friday, December 25, 2009

Spicy Christmas Shortbread



Here's the recipe for my shortbread that I make every year---


2 sticks (1 cup)  butter or margarine (at room temperature)
(may I just say that don't try to be "good" here--use butter!)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons grated orange peel (optional)
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground gloves
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
pinch of granulated sugar


1. Heat oven to 325. Have two 8-9 inch round cake pans ready (no need to grease).
2. In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar. Add orange peel, spices, and baking soda and mix until fluffy. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour, beating until just blended.
3. Divide dough in half and press even over bottom of ungreased pans. Sprinkle dough with sugar.
4. Bake 25-30 minutes until tops look dry and slightly cracked. Don't overbake! Edges will be higher than centers. (It makes the house smell sooo good!)
5. Cool in pans. Cut while still warm. 


Tastes delicious warm or cool. When warm, melts in you mouth. Cool, it's delightfully crunchy.




It's not Christmas at our house without the shortbread. Usually I'm baking it several times from Thanksgiving till Christmas--but I just made my first batch yesterday! I was in a bit of a baking frenzy Christmas eve--I almost made over 6 dozen peanut butter bonbons! I think I'll make more cookies today!




Enjoy your holiday!

1 comment:

Lisa Rydin Erickson said...

Wow, thank you for the recipe for the Christmas shortbread, yum.