Friday, December 10, 2010

Birthday Week Wrap-up!

My grandpuppy, Henry

























It's a Friday night and here in Minnesota we are preparing to get hit with a blizzard! Aw shucks, guess I'll be stuck in the studio this weekend! 

Tonight I am a "theatre widow"... hubby is off starring in a holiday dinner production of Ole and Lena. I'm not complaining...just enjoying a quiet evening catching up on editing photos and then doing a little blog-hopping.

My kitty, Squeakers

























The past week has been a wonderful week of celebrating the 50th! Julie was here till Tuesday evening and we packed in lots of visiting and different activities. And when you're best friend is also an artist, that means lots of artsy fun! We went to several small galleries, a bead store, the Mpls Institute of Arts (MIA), and the Swedish Institute! In between all that, we had great meals at places all over town!

Julie with her daughter at the MIA








































I wanted to take a nap in this chair at the MIA, but it had a clever sign that read "Keep your paws off". It was part of an exhibit on the art of chairs. 

At the Art Institute we went to the featured exhibition titled Art of the Native Americans: the Thaw Collection. While general admission to the MIA is free, there was an exhibition fee to view this collection--well worth it (plus I got discounted tickets!). This show is up till January 9th--go check it out if you're local. This Sunday, December 12th there is a special family event focused on Native American art. I love that there is so much to do in this town that is art-related!

Outside the Swedish Institute
























Wednesday night I wrapped up birthday celebrations with a dinner with former co-workers...including two others celebrating birthdays this week. It was fun seeing old friends.

But now I'm settling back into my studio routine...and hard at work on a few new paintings. I can't show you pics because they will be holiday gifts!



















I can share that I sold the above painting, Sunrise, to the boyfriend of a former co-worker, Erin. Erin was with her boyfriend when they saw my work at Trotter's late this summer. He contacted me to buy one of the paintings that she had admired! What a great guy! (I can tell this story because he already gave her the painting!) I love sending my paintings off to homes where I know they will be enjoyed!

4 comments:

Artsnark said...

Sounds like a whirlwind week! Happy belated b-day & congrats on the sale. I've always loved that piece :D Wishing you a creative weekend

Anonymous said...

He is a great guy. I couldn't believe he remembered that far back :) I absolutely loved this painting from the moment I saw it and can't believe it's hanging in my home now! What a great present! - Erin

risa said...

Ah, I'm so happy you're happy Erin! I told him the story of when I was dating my hubby and we went to my first art crawl. Joel went back the next day and bought me a painting that I had admired...it is still a treasured gift...both because I love the painting and because every time I look at it, I remember that my guy paid attention and cared enough to get it for me!
I hope you enjoy this painting and your guy for years to come!!!

GlorV1 said...

Happy to hear that your Birthday week was a great one. Take care with that blizzard, have a great weekend. I love your GrandPuppy.:)