Thursday, December 16, 2010

Writing a work plan...

I wrote my work plan at the computer with my kitty looking on. 





















My first assignment for the WARM Mentor program was to write a work plan. Basically, it is an outline of the work I plan to do in the two years of the program. It spells out my goals, what steps I plan to take to reach those goals... Things will change no doubt, but this work plan will provide the framework as I begin the program.

Each protegee had to meet with their new mentor and review their plan. The work plan needed to be turned in December 8th. 

It was a challenging task. There is something about speaking our dreams out loud that is very powerful. It becomes even more powerful when you make a step by step guide for how you plan to achieve those dreams. It makes it more real.

I'll admit that I was initially a little vague on a few points. And there were some dreams that I wasn't quite ready to put down on paper. But then I met with Brenna and it all came tumbling out...the dream of showing my work at outside venues and even having a solo show.  There are a lot of steps from here to there, including writing an artist statement and resume...but I feel I am headed in the right direction.


I have also started meeting with two of the other protegees. All three of us will be working with Brenna (as our mentor). It has been fun and energizing to meet with other artists who are at the same place I am. Over the next two years the three of us plan to meet as a small group...throwing out support to one another while also challenging each other!


I feel like my life will be filled with much change over the next few years...I'm not sure how some things will shake out, but I feel that by participating in the WARM program I am taking some very positive steps in my art career.  I am open to all the possibilities. No doubt there are times when I wish I had a little crystal ball and could see into the future...but what fun would there be in that?

2 comments:

Liz-Anna said...

Risa, a work plan sounds like a great idea for artists in general. I know I could use some structure with my own art and look forward to seeing how you progress.

Karin said...

Hi Risa! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog the other day with your warm wishes. I'm feeling so much better and am looking forward to Christmas.....Wishing you tons of cheer for you on Christmas and New Year!! Karin