Saturday, January 10, 2009

Like a Phoenix Rising


"Like a Phoenix Rising"



"Rebirth VI"


"Iris"

"Birch Trees"


Thought I would post a few new pics of finished paintings. Here's a few thoughts to go with the pics.


I just finished "Like a Phoenix Rising" today. I had put her aside since last October...I had tried to finish her before the fall art crawl, but it didn't happened. I hung her on the wall with a note saying "Work in Progress". Today I was ready to finish her. I pulled her off the wall and went to work. I finished work on the rising figure. I hesitated to post the photo, because it just doesn't feel like an "accurate" image. The figure was completed by adding the gold spiral design to her body. The design is so much more subtle than the photo suggests. I can't stand it when I can't get good photos. I guess that's something I'll be working on in 2009.


Phoenix is a work dear to my heart. She tells the story of a woman overcoming pain and misery to become a wiser, stronger woman. She is spirited, full of grace, and ready to take on life.


"Rebirth" is another painting that doesn't photograph well (o.k. I know it isn't the painting, it's the photographer...or could I blame the camera?). Really, she looks brilliant against the pink walls of my studio.


"Iris" may soon be hanging above my couch. Unless someone wants to buy her.
"Birch Trees" is still hanging in a coffee shop waiting for someone to buy her.


There you have it. On Monday the registration for the St. Paul Art Crawl is due. I think I will be entering "Iris" and "Birch Trees". No expectations.

5 comments:

Jodi Ohl said...

I love them all but Iris my favorite, I love all things blue, and the complimentary color of purple in this really is captivating! Thanks for sharing :)

Alisa Nordholt-Dean said...

Beautiful paintings!

I agree with lucy...I think Iris is my fav, although rebirth is a close second...love your use of bright colors too!

Michelle Brunner said...

I just love the Iris one:) Such movement and wonderful colors!

Rosebud Collection said...

Very pretty..I like the beautiful colors..very bright.

septembermom said...

What vibrant beautiful colors! Iris is really dramatic and grabs the viewer. I also think that "Like a Phoenix Rising" is powerful and liberating. A true rebirth caught in paint.