Secret 2: Honoring Your Inspirations
Even in the dead of winter, time often seems to go by too quickly--specially when you have a task at hand. Our assignment this week was, in a sense, to "to honor our inspirations"...to take notice of what it is in our life that makes us feel alive, that lights that flame of inspiration, that put a little spring in our step and makes us feel passionate about life...in essence, that moves us to create beautiful things.
I've been kicking this around in my head all week, trying to pay attention to what those things are for me. I think I have a good idea of what those things are for me. This is a hard exercise for me to do in the dead of winter...because it is a time of year when I just want to crawl into a cave and sleep till there is a spring thaw. Really, I crave being alone (I guess that can start my list). But, this is probably a really good time of year to remind myself of what things make me feel alive...so here goes:
- Color: intense, vibrant, deep, rich, bright, dark, purple, fuscia, sage, orange, black...color makes me feel alive. Color speaks to me. I feel it in my bones. When I start painting and start mixing colors...well, that is bliss for me.
- The Sun. Probably is coming to mind so quickly, because it is the dead of winter and I am missing sunshine. I am dreaming of living in a sunnier, warmer climate one day.
- Museums. On a bad day, a visit to a museum, especially favorites such as the Mpls Institute of Arts, can remind me that there is beauty in the world.
- Music. I have to have music playing when I'm painting. There are some paintings that I think should be titled after the song that was playing while I was creating it. BeeGees. Earth, Wind & Fire. David Sanborn. James Taylor. Andrea Bocelli. Old school Motown. I like to dance alittle while I'm creating.
- Family. Relationships mean everything.
- Baking. I love creating by baking. I have favorites that I love to "gift" family and friends with.
- Baseball. Especially Twins baseball. When I step into the stadium, I feel that state of bliss. I have a whole other blog devoted to baseball (badly neglected these days, but spring training begins soon!)
- Chocolate. Especially dark chocolate.
- Diet coke.
- My studio. I love, LOVE being there.
- Given the time and energy (which seemed to be lacking this year), decorating for the Christmas holidays. (I still have to to put those decorations away)
- Traditions. Romance. I am a sentimental fool.
- Long soaks in the tub. I am definitely more of a bath (vs. shower) person.
- Helping others. I know I said I crave being alone...but I'm also the sort that is "fed" by helping others...hence, the social worker in me.
I'm sure as soon as I finish this list, I will remember things I've missed. But this is a good start. These are the things I turn to when I feel depleted, when I'm searching for a little inspiration.
What's on your list?