Friday, January 2, 2009

A very good day!




It was a marvelously productive day...in so many ways. I headed over to the studio in the morning and worked on a number of pieces, including the piece above. I should be able to finish it tomorrow. This collage is on a 6x8 stretched canvas. It includes a vintage photo of my great-grandfather! I love how the whole thing came together...Yesterday I painted the canvas a sort of olive/sage green color...inspired by the paper I then laid down. I then added the image. Today I "aged" the look by adding a mix of burnt umber/green around the edges. I added the gold highlights around the paper and edge of the canvas.
I thought the birthday boy needed a birthday crown! Now I just plan to add the words "Time flies...when you're having fun". Once I have completed that I will take final pics...that will hopefully show the colors better! The background is more an antique green and the gold is much more subtle. Still, I had a great time creating this guy. I think he will be my first mixed media piece in my Etsy shop. What do you think?
Then I headed home to throw a roast and some root veggies (carrots, parsnips, and rutabega) in the oven to slow cook. While that was cooking, I went shopping...for new glasses! Picked out two pairs (there was a sale!)...can't wait to get them. My prescription will be quite a bit stronger...I might actually be able to read/bead without taking my glasses off (my current specs are hopeless). A quick stop at Joann's completed the trip.
Since dinner I've been working on uploading photos. Updated pics for some of my Etsy listings and finally listed a new item--a necklace I completed at least a month ago! I hope you'll stop by to check it out!

2 comments:

Michelle Brunner said...

I love the pattern of the fabric, looks so vintagy and cool with the photo of your grandfather. Sounds like you had a productive day:)

Alisa Nordholt-Dean said...

I love how your new piece is coming along! The paper is included is absolutely gorgeous and what a wonderful pic of your great grandfather. Can't wait to see the finished piece!