Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Preview-MN State Fair Fine Arts show

















Just as I posted my last entry (all about feeling isolated and needing to get out...), my artist neighbor/friend left a note on my door asking if I would like to go to the State Fair's Fine Art Preview opening! This is one of my favorite shows of the year. I'm a little disappointed with myself for not entering this year, but hey, there's always next year!

I have enjoyed this show for years as part of my annual State Fair pilgrimage. Years ago I dreamed of being brave enough to enter. And the the past few years, I have entered...but have not been accepted. I have gained some perspective on all that...it is just one juror's opinion, after all. But I will keep trying.

So last night, my neighbor and I headed out to the fairgrounds. There were a lot of people there!  Much of the art has a theme that fits with the State Fair theme (such as state fair foods, livestock), but there is a wide range of other subject matter. There is also a wide range of different mediums used, everything from glass mosaics to oil. What I appreciate so much about this show is that anyone can bring a piece in for consideration (no entry fee!) and so many different mediums are part of the show. Basically, if you create it, they will look at it.

The fun part now is that as I become more involved in the local arts community I recognize the work of more fellow artists. Last night I saw the work of several fellow Lowertown artists, as well as work of two former Tilsner residents. It's always fun seeing the work of someone you know. 

And I found what would have been the perfect spot for the painting of hubby eating an ear of corn at the Fair--next year!

No comments: